Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tribute to Giulietta Masina, a.k.a. Mrs. Fellini

I was floored when I saw Nights of Caribria back in 1998. It was a performance that has stayed with me all these years and inspired me to go on as her character did.

Then I realized I also saw her in La Strada, La Dolce Dita, etc., but her lead role as Caribria (excuse my spelling) was the most memorable for me. Fellini and Masina are definitely soulmates as husband and wife as well as artists. They couldn't complement each other's work any better. It is a pairing of cinematic perfection. In Fellini's memoirs he wrote that his wife is the person he admired most; her physical presence is somewhat frail and plain with a waif-like cuteness accentuated by her wavy red hair and large, innocent eyes - what a visual deception! Her physique masks a tour de force talent and a subtle power that slowly overwhelms you.

I won't lionize her talent anymore - Others have done it better and I simply couldn't express how she IS one of the greatest and less known actresses of all time.

I think, it's a shame, that to this day, I still couldn't find much information on her other than the basic details of her life. I hope someone will be able to show us some of her interviews, maybe writings, and memoirs. She must have been such an interesting individual too.

No comments:

Post a Comment